A wood router is one of the most flexible bits of carpentry gear that you could have in your workshop. It’s a useful asset that turns a piece, or a shaper, at high speeds. And even, there’re numerous different sorts of bits that you can purchase for the woodcutters.
Besides, there’re plenty of woodwork jobs that made it easier to complete. You should know that a router works amazingly at high speeds, so care should consistently be taken when utilizing one, and the best possible security protection followed.
Utilizing a wood router isn’t troublesome, yet it takes a touch of training to consummate. But for a beginner, it’s tough to cope up with a wood router. So, here we’re going to depict how to use a wood router for beginners.
What Can I Do With A Wood Router?
A wood router precisely assists you in cutting, trimming wood for decorating your houses with lucrative furniture and even for your woodwork shop. The woodworkers love to have this powerful tool for the easy and quick finish, but accuracy is maintained.
You can do the following five jobs with a wood router.
- While making any table, bench, or even a nightstand where you need to give them a rounded edge, you can use a wood router to do it. You know rounded edges not only have aesthetics look, but also they’re safe for your children, where straight edges can be harmful to your little kids.
- Everyone likes to hold their memories in a frame. So, you can use the beveled edge to make your picture frames using a wood router. You can firmly shape your picture frame from all sides.
- One of the exciting parts with a wood router is making a sign. You can use a piece of wood to draw your design for business sign, house number, and many more. Use your router and other bits to intricate your plans.
- A cutting board is another piece of the great gift once you finished it. A rectangular piece of wood from cherry, maple, walnut, and teak can be the best option for making a cutting board. You can round the edges of the wood with your router.
- For a better appearance of your bookshelves, raised panel doors are a great supplement. Though it’s a little advanced feature, you can do it having some prior knowledge about the wood router. Once you captured it, you can make raised panel doors to replace your old cabinet doors as well as where you need to use them.
How To Use A Wood Router For Beginners?
Every woodwork shop or woodworker is familiar with this wood router. They found it as an impressively powerful tool for doing multiple decorative functions. But when it comes to beginners, it is a little difficult for them to work with it. No worries. The following section will guide you on how to use a wood router for beginners.
Making Correct Edges
If you want to make a clean and smooth edge with a narrow piece of wood, it might be tricky. But using a wood router, you can easily drop a nicely finished edge all the time. These routers are true friends for making curved and straight edges on multiple pieces of wood.
Replicate Stylish Molding
Stylish molding is an art that a wood router can help you to create. I always loved to create decorative molding when I was a beginner. However, you can craft everything using multiple bits of routers that lead you to form basic rounded frames to further beaded patterns for chair rails, windows, doors, etc.
Shaping Simple Dadoes
A dado is a space or channel that is utilized to reinforce in a bookshelf or furniture undetectably. It’s one of the most powerful methods to fasten the cabinets. There’re two types of common dadoes that you can create using a woodcutter.
A through dado is going through both sides of the surface and is left open at the end. The blind or stopped dado ends before the edge of the surface meets with one or both the cuts.
Carving the Rabbets
You can use multiple rabbet bits that are accumulated with many routers to create your desired grooves. The rabbets are usually used to create windows or door jambs, and a dado can be used to form a strong joint. You can also use rabbets on the side of the shelves or the back edge of cabinets.
However, you can use multiple pieces of wood to cut patterns, designs, or grooves. In short, if you find your table is broken, you can take a piece of wood and detect the original shape and remake it using your router as many times as you prefer. You can also use a flat piece of wood for the lettering or intricate designs.
Benefits Of Using A Wood Router
You might’ve already guessed the uses of wood routers that are very prominent for shaping wood into more furnished ways. These powerful tools are standard in every woodwork shop to cut wood, plastic, or some other substances. Here, we’ve listed some major benefits that a wood router offers:
- If any error occurs means you’re about to waste your money again. So, it’s a threat to every workplace. A regular router comes with a lack of precision, where a wood router can eliminate the waste. If you use wood routers means they won’t waste any single piece of wood, whereas leaving many identical pieces of wood.
- You can even get the benefits of working in a large field, like creating stair risers to maintain accuracy. And you can do it easily using a wood router without making any error. But it’s a challenge for regular routers to make these large stair risers ensuring the accuracy. So, for mass production with a low margin of error, a wood router is a must choice.
- You’ll have flawless work with these wood routers. That means you can produce thousands of same pieces without making any difference. Every company owner prefers to have a wood router for assuring the quality on a large scale.
- The CNC wood routers also provide smooth operations as well as the safety for the workers. On the contrary, regular routers need physical involvement of workers, and safety is a concern in this regard. So, the wood routers are a priceless addition to any woodwork shop for easier manipulation.
- The wood routers provide top-notch efficiency along with producing the vast amount of pieces that accelerate the production capacity. So, these routers are profitable picks for increasing production capacity maintaining less error margin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a router lift?
A router lift can change the router bits in-depth for precise control when you’re using a router table. If you have a router lift, it can lower and raise your router, and you can tune the router bit depth for the exact measurement that is actually needed. However, you can also change the router bits above the router table.
Do you use a router left to right?
Keep in mind that routers go left. Because, when you’re holding the router close with the bit confronting descending, it will turn a clockwise way. To take care of against the bit’s revolution, you’ll move the switch from option to left when taking care of the router along the outside edges of a work-piece
Can you drill with a router?
However, you can drill with a straight router for your projects or materials. If you want to drill, hold the router straight down and don’t shake the router to increase the hole.
Hopefully, the guide on how to use a wood router for beginners would be helpful for you. Whenever you want to invest in your very first router, you can research in-depth to get the most profitable one. It’s expected that as a beginner, multiple questions might be pondering in your mind. However, we’ve tried to cover the topics that can assist you in different aspects of using a wood router.