Many times, the tool that is mostly available in any workshop is a table saw for it is said there are various things you can do with it. This has, however, been sidelined by a wood router, which does a better job aiding you with multiple tasks in the workshop. The best wood router under 100 not only helps you in cutting pieces of wood, but it also supports mounting models.
The market has availed a good number of wood routers, with most of them having various features. This should not make you waver in terms of cost because you must find one under 100 dollars. Finding one within that cost may be a bit challenging due to the advanced technology that has been introduced to various wood router models.
What Size Wood Router Do I Need?
It is important to note that wood routers usually come in various sizes. This goes for the same with features; hence the settings may take diverse positions. Now, wood routers are divided into three sizes, which are full size, mid-size, and palm or compact size. What differentiates the three is the peak horsepower produced by each of their motors. The bottom line is, routers usually are designed in ½-inch and ¼-inch collets. Both of them indicate the size of the bit shank they can take.
Note: types of wood routers
Note: We have discussed the size wood router that you need hence enabling you to understand the size basics. To get more information on the types of wood routers, you can take a look at our next article.
Table Of Content:
- 5 Best Wood Routers Under 100 Reviews 2020
- 1. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
- 2. Bosch Router Tool, Colt 1-Horsepower 5.6 Amp Electronic Variable-Speed Palm Router
- 3. HARVET R0700 1.25HP 6.5Amp Variable Speed Palm Compact Router Kit
- 4. PORTER-CABLE PCE6430 4.5-Amp Single Speed 1/4-Inch Laminate Trimmer, Router
- 5. 6.5-Amp Wood Router Tool, 1.25 HP Compact Trim Router
- What To Consider Before Buying A Wood Router Under 100 Dollars?
Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
Bosch Router Tool, Colt 1-Horsepower 5.6 Amp Electronic Variable-Speed Palm Router PR20EVS
HARVET R0700 1.25HP 6.5Amp Variable Speed Palm Compact Router Kit
PORTER-CABLE PCE6430 4.5-Amp Single Speed 1/4-Inch Laminate Trimmer, Router
6.5-Amp Wood Router Tool, 1.25 HP Compact Trim Router
5 Best Wood Routers Under 100 Reviews 2020
In this review, we will be looking into the best wood router under 100, narrowing it down to the top five. This way, you will be able to pick the ideal wood router that will not exceed your budget. Let us not keep you waiting; let’s get right into it.
1. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
The Makita Compact Router is the best variable speed router with exceptional performance and accuracy. Coming in a compact design, this router has full maximum horsepower purposely designed for accurate routing applications. Now, what makes it even more impressive is its variable speed control dial that allows you to match the speed during use.
The electronic speed control features work significantly in maintaining a constant speed, no matter the load. It also gives room for exceptional accuracy levels making the Makita router the most powerful wood router in cutting line. Additionally, it features a motor housing made with heavy-weight aluminum is designed on this model to ensure durability.
This model is slim, with an ergonomic design that enhances comfort, control, and convenience. It includes a pinion excellent depth adjustment system meant for accurate settings. With this wood router, you can easily switch in between speed levels back and forth through the quick release cam lock system.
Makita RT0701C Features:
- This wood router has HP motor power that runs up to a maximum level of 1-1/4 that enhances high-performance.
- It comes with a precise depth adjustment system that ensures accuracy at all times.
- The quick-release lock system goes a long way in enabling you to switch easily back and forth between speed levels.
- The heavy motor housing on this wood router made of heavy-weight aluminum is meant to increase durability.
- A slim model that is ergonomically designed to ensure that you remain in control and provide comfort.
2. Bosch Router Tool, Colt 1-Horsepower 5.6 Amp Electronic Variable-Speed Palm Router
The Bosch Router Tool is renowned for producing additional power thanks to its 5.6-amp variable powerful motor. The speeds are stunning, ranging from 16,000 – 35,000 rpm. Additionally, the variable speed dial is placed on top of this wood router to enhance ease of usage. If you are looking for the best value wood router, this Bosch model will be a great addition to your workshop.
This model is quite convenient, weighing not more than 12 pounds, making it perfect for all kinds of projects, big or small. What makes this wood router stand out is the long-angled cord exit that keeps the cord aside during projects. It also boasts of an aluminum base fixed on the router that assures accuracy, durability, and solidness.
You will also note exclusive finger support pockets that are meant to increase stability necessary when trimming edges. The bit changing system gives room for a smooth and high-speed bit changing made possible by the spindle lock. This is undoubtedly the best woodworking router for the money you have budgeted for. It will give you value for your money for sure.
Bosch Router Tool Features:
- The Bosch wood router features a powerful motor of 5.6 amp that produces extra power.
- It’s the aluminum fixed base is meant to enhance preciseness and durability.
- It features a long-angled cord exit that helps in ensuring the cord is kept aside hence does not disturb when working.
- This wood router has a variable speed dial typically found on top of this router that allows ease of usage.
- You will find exclusive finger support pockets that ensure that your wood router remains stable when trimming edges.
3. HARVET R0700 1.25HP 6.5Amp Variable Speed Palm Compact Router Kit
The Harvet R0700 is the best compact router that is extremely lightweight. With this model, you will like you are not carrying anything; that’s how light it is. Apart from that, it maintains exclusive motor electric constant speed essential during cutting, producing outstanding clean and smooth cuts. With its speed control dial, you will be able to match the speed directly to the application without any challenges.
If you want the best router for beginner working in a workshop, then go for this model because it is easy to use. First, it is convenient with a palm ergonomically design that will give a beginner control and comfort. Secondly, you can adjust the depths easily due to the release lock system. It also features a soft-starting motor with electronic feedback that keeps constant motor speed during the cut.
You will love this wood router because though small in size, it comes with vast power. It comes with an aluminum metal base that is not just strong but also durable ideal for trim carpentry. This wood router comes with a bump handle designed to maximize stability, particularly when carrying out edge planning.
HARVET R0700 1.25HP Features:
- This wood router has a total of six variable speed control dial that allows you to choose the ideal speed to work with.
- The aluminum metal base is constructed with quality material making it quite sturdy and long-lasting.
- It features accessible adjustment settings that are accurate hence ensuring excellent alignment.
- With the constant electronic motor, you can keep track of your speed to ensure perfect clean cuts.
- The quick-release lock system is designed to ensure secure and fast depth adjustments when cutting.
4. PORTER-CABLE PCE6430 4.5-Amp Single Speed 1/4-Inch Laminate Trimmer, Router
PORTER-CABLE PCE6430 is the best router tool for the money on the market and comes in highly recommended for woodworking activities. It has a 4.5-amp motor, which has 31,000 RPM that provides adequate power to cover any woodwork activity. If you need visibility when working, the inbuilt LED light will ensure that perfectly.
You will find extra-large fastening clips, allowing for a fast motor release as well as course depth adjustment. This woodcutter also features a depth ring that aids in fast and precise bit height adjustments. The Spindle lock button gives room for single-wrench bit changes. The fact that it has an ergonomic grip for single-handed makes it comfortable to handle.
This is the ideal wood router for hinge routing and trimming applications. It also comes with a 1/4 –inch collet diameter making it one of the most versatile wood routers. In most settings, this router delivers results because of its controllable power, no matter the woodworking projects you are handling.
PORTER-CABLE PCE6430 Features:
- The wood router features a fixed-base precision-machine that guarantees durability.
- It features locking clips that present quick motor release.
- The inbuilt depth ring ensures precision and fast bit modifications.
- This router comes with a LED light that provides adequate visibility when working.
- It is ergonomically designed, assuring you of comfortability and control.
5. 6.5-Amp Wood Router Tool, 1.25 HP Compact Trim Router
This wood router boasts of a 6.5-Amp motor that comes with max horsepower of 1.25 meant to produce ample power. This power is intended for various trimming and routing applications. Its variable speed dial provides consistent speed while working while the speed control ranging from 10,000-32,000 RPM enables you to select your ideal speed to work with.
If you are looking for the best budget router woodworking to make working easier for you then, the 6.5-Amp Wood Router will work for you. Included is the Smooth rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system that ensures cutting edge accuracy when cutting.
This router has 12 Wood Router Bits meant to enable you to handle various woodworking activities. You can also use it for cabinetry because this tool’s handle is ergonomically designed with rubber for control when working. Also, it comes with constant power that keeps this palm router from not being stable in your hand, hence better control.
6.5-Amp Wood Router Features:
- This wood router comes with a 6.5-Amp motor with a max horsepower that delivers up to 1.25 adequate power paramount for trimming and routing applications.
- It features a variable speed dial that ensures that you keep up with constant speed while working.
- The speed control features range from 10,000-32,000 RPM allowing you to select the speed that suits you.
- It includes the Smooth depth adjustment system with rack-and-pinion providing precise cutting.
- An ergonomically designed router that is rubberized for control when handling woodworking activities.
What To Consider Before Buying A Wood Router Under 100 Dollars?
A wood router is a powerful hand tool used for woodworking, providing cutting edge services. The market is flooded with a wide range of wood routers that come in different models. This can give you a hard time when trying to find the best wood router under 100. That need not worry you because this guide will point out important factors to look into when buying a wood router.
The type of woodwork you are handling will determine the speed that you require. If you are working with hardwoods, you need better speed as compared to when working with softwood. It is, therefore, vital to look for a wood router with variable speed control for perfect cuts. Variable speed is the most crucial attribute you should always consider, no matter the cost.
When purchasing a wood router, you will note that they all come in different shapes and sizes. You will find palm wood routers that are primarily designed for small jobs, while compact routers are made for larger jobs. Now, for heavy-duty performance, you need to choose a full-sized router, which is usually stationary. If you are handling small tasks, go for a small-sized router that will be portable hence easy to carry around.
This is a significant factor to look into. Different models come with varying amounts of power, but the best wood router should have a horsepower that is below one. If you buy a router that is not powerful, you will not be able to work on hardwoods; hence you will deliver shoddy quality work. With a powerful machine, you will handle heavy tasks without any challenges.
This is a standard requirement that should never be bypassed. Choosing a durable wood router goes a long way in ensuring that it serves you for a long time. A wood router goes through tremendous pushing and shoving; hence if it is weak, it will break down very fast. The motor housing, frame, and the base should all be solidly built to achieve resilience.
You don’t want to go for a wood router that you cannot afford. If you are working with a specific budget, stick to that. Look around for a wood router that is affordable but still has the expected features. The wood router should also perform highly even though it is not expensive.
Note: We have laid out essential factors in the wood router buying guide that will help you make the right purchase. You can refer to our other previous articles for more information that will enable you to make a better decision when buying a wood router.
Why Should You Buy A Wood Router Under $100?
Several advantages should make you buy a wood router under $100. Some of them include:
- With a wood router, you will be able to make accurate cuts hence delivering fantastic results.
- A wood router helps you to save time because you end up taking a shorter time on tasks that would have taken long.
- With a wood router, you can enjoy a comfortable grip due to the exceptional design. This enables you to achieve accuracy and consistency.
- A wood router under $100 is affordable, meaning you will be able to afford one without spending much.
- Having a durable router ensures that you get the right service for the long term. That is why a durable router is ideal.
These are some of the advantages of having a wood router. Now, you can choose to buy the best wood router from our review on the best wood router under 100.
Frequently Asked Questions
How deep can a wood router cut?
A wood router can cut deep up to around ¼-inch deep.
Do you push or pull a router?
A router is usually moved from left to right, so a router is not pushed or pulled; instead, it is moved.
Can you use a router on plywood?
Yes, it is possible to use a router on plywood without any challenges.
Can you use drill bits in a router?
A drill usually is unsuitable for use with a router bit.
Can you use a router to cut wood?
Yes, you can use a router to cut wood, except during those times you are doing edge work.
Wood routers are convenient tools that are essential for woodworkers. What is evident is that routers come in various models, but what is of importance is finding one that suits your needs best. Looking for the best wood router under 100 need not be difficult as long as you understand the kind of router you need. Quality should always take pre-eminence above anything else. From the reviews, we have outlined, you will be able to find a router that is affordable and performing highly.
My best recommendation is the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router. What makes it the best router under 100 is its performance, which is top-notch. Its accuracy is exceptional while delivering maximum horsepower. What is more exciting is its variable speed control dial that enables you to keep up with you when working. This is what makes this wood router deliver cutting-edge results.