Doesn’t it make accurate dadoes or grooves? Is that the reason you get frustrated during woodworking? Well, there are a large number of high-quality and innovative functional plunge routers available. But, there are also some non-functional alongside less-efficient routers available that don’t work perfectly on wooden surfaces. Now, you might be wondering that: what’s the best plunge router that delivers a great service life without annoying?
Most of the powerful and best quality plunge routers offer you very accurate trimming, cutting edge and shaping functions. Under these circumstances, I have researched some high-standard and effective plunge routers that will deliver you with 100% accuracy and best performance with great value. So, in this article, I’ll write about all the leading plunge routers. Now, let’s dive into the deep.
Why Do I Need A Plunge Router?
A plunge router is a necessary tool that helps you to work on top of the table for applications like dadoes, mortices, grooves, fluting and more. It’s one of the most useful tools that offer to make edges with a round-over bit. The plunge routers help you to read and measure the depth right on the tool’s face. One of the biggest advantages a plunge router offers is unbeatable protection rather than its siblings in the industry, fixed-base router. Also, the best quality plunge router offers better protection to the expensive bits while it’s not in use.
Table of content:
Over time, we’re getting busy with handling our daily chores. For this reason, I added short navigation of the entire content. So, let’s check out the facts.
- 5 Best Plunge Router Reviewed In 2020
- What To Consider Before Buying A Plunge Router?
Most of the people running with time shortage and I think you are on the same floor. In this case, the desired plunge router shortlist can assist you to pick the best items from the list and save your valuable time. So, let’s get a better experience and a clear view of the plunge routers with this short journey.
Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Tool Combo Kit - 2.25 Horsepower Plunge Router
Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router
3-1/4 HP Plunge Router
DEWALT Router, Fixed/Plunge Base Kit, Variable Speed, Soft Start, 2-1/4-HP (DW618PKB)
PORTER-CABLE Plunge Router Base for 693 (6931)
5 Best Plunge Router Reviewed In 2020
There are a massive number of Plunge routers available with their own attributes. Most of the plunge routers offer similar kinds of amenities and distinct performance. But, that self-claimed performance doesn’t fulfill your needs. For this reason, I added-on the 5 most effective plunge routers that offer you a brilliant performance with long-lasting service life.
1. Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Tool Combo Kit – 2.25 Horsepower Plunge Router
At the first spot, the Bosch 1617EVSPK is one of the top rated plunge router among the leading wood router industry. The Bosch 2.25 HP plunge router with a fixed-base kit offers you to use the application in various needs such as edge forming, precise bit plunging, slot cutting, and laminate trimming.
A powerful 12amp advanced technology motor can rotor at 25000 rpm speed that delivers the ample amount of power needed for smooth routing. It also offers you to use the plunge router with a router table. It’s convenient Microfine bit depth adjustment systems offer great control for every single inch to confirm the best accuracy feature of this best router combo kit.
The Bosch 1617EVSPK is the best router combo kit constructed with aluminum that makes the units more durable even the fixed-base integrated with wooden handle and plunge base with soft-grip handle. Both of these rounded hardwood handles help to control this efficient application.
Bosch 1617EVSPK Plunge Router Features:
- This versatile woodworking combo kit offers you to use the tools for a massive range of applications including slot cutting, laminate trimming, edge forming and more.
- Its built-in robust 12 amp motor wheel can rotate at 25000 rpm speed that delivers a smooth routing on the wood surface.
- Innovative Microfine bit depth adjustment methods offer great accuracy during the woodworking operation.
- It’s designed with sturdy aluminum to confirm that it’s a durable plunge router allowed to use for long-lasting.
- Two different rounded handles help you to control the plunge router during extreme cutting and laminating.
2. Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router
Coming in at second, the Australian made Triton TRA001 is one of the best plunge router. The Triton TRA001 routers are a great versatile asset for precision woodworkers armory. This good plunge routers fine woodworking designed with the commitment of without compromising the performance and safety.
Its integrated 3.25 HP powerful motor is capable of handling any types of hard wooden workpieces at the motor running speed ranging from 8000 -21000 RPMs. The soft start alongside variable speed offer you to choose the perfect velocity for your desired cutter types.
Also, its multi-function fence gives you the controlling opportunity for handheld use and the circle cutting.
It’s innovative microfine winder delivers consistent depth-adjustment through full plunge range. The integrated air ventilation systems help to reduce the dust from the motor internal casing and peak them upside-down in the router table. It’s advanced safety guard switch gives you protection from the cut zone and helps dust extraction.
Triton TRA001 Features:
- Specially designed this Triton plunge router offers you to deliver the best performance without compromising other attributes.
- With a 3.25 HP robust motor, it’s offered to handle different sturdy wooden workpieces at 8000-21000 RPM speed.
- Variable speed meter helps you to select the best speed for your needs.
- Its multi-function fence can control the handheld and circle cutting.
- Its innovative safety switch ensures your protection during the operation.
3.3-1/4 HP Plunge Router
In third position, Makita 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router is a convenient and versatile tool perfect for windows, doors, fine woodworking, furniture making, counter tops, decking and cabinetry. It’s built-in twice LED lights generate extra brightness at the work area for increased visibility. It’s integrated large ball bearings ensure the long-lasting service life of the tool.
The 15 AMP powerful motor with soft start offers 9,000-22,000 RPM speed for smooth routing. It’s different speed control meter helps users to match with the application speed and the advanced electric braking system increases productivity.
The plunge depth capacity diameter of the application ranging from 0-inch to 2-3/4 -inch which helps for easy penetration into the workpieces. It’s ergonomic designed handles with integrated two-finger switch helps to control the application and use the plunge lock lever for an efficient operation.
Makita 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router Features:
- It’s mostly offered for fine woodworking, different furniture making, countertops, carpentry, etc.
- The built-in dual LED illuminates increase the brightness of the work area.
- A Robust 15 AMP motor can deliver 9,000-22,000 RPM speed.
- A variable speed controlling system allows it to match the tools speed that delivers better performance and increases productivity.
- Its user-friendly handles with two-finger switch allow it to control the whole application’s regulation quite easily.
4. DEWALT Router, Fixed/Plunge Base Kit, Variable Speed, Soft Start, 2-1/4-HP (DW618PKB)
In fourth place, the Dewalt router offers some great value attributes including die-cast aluminum base, motor housing, precision machined and heavy-duty for durability. This application is one of the best plunge routers for the money because of its distincts features. It’s self-releasing eight slotted collets helps to gain better bit retention and remove the frozen bits.
The powerful 2-1/4 HP tools with 12.0 AMP electronic variable speed motor can rotate at 8,000-24,000 RPM velocity that provides the power to spin smoothly through the toughest hardwoods. It’s rubber molded handles with low center gravity design helps to control, maintain and provide best comfort for use.
The innovated Micro-fine depth adjustment ring offers exact depth adjustment at 1/64-inch increment ratio and adjusts parallely for a continuous switch location. The built-in dust collector offers to collect 95% of the dust and gives superior bit visibility. Its high-quality brass casings and sturdy steel guide rods deliver a smooth and perfect plunge stroke.
Dewalt router offers Features:
- Self-releasing eight slotted collets remove the frozen bits from the surface.
- Power 12 AMP motors with great RPM offer to spin the motor smoothly during the toughest operations.
- Mostly rubber covered handles help to control the entire process.
- Its Micro-fine depth adjustment process offers a precise depth adjustment on the woodworking surface.
- The dust collector collects more than 95% of the dust and gives better visibility.
5. PORTER-CABLE Plunge Router Base for 693 (6931)
Finally, Porter-Cable Plunge router is one of the most versatile applications that is compatible with different router motors including 6902, 6902vS models. One of the best advantages to use this best budget plunge router offers a great safety against accidents and keeps your job running quite smoothly.
The significant adjusting depth is much easier with other router units. It offers six depth stop positions which allows a consistent and smooth operation for a long-haul. The built-in push button for units on/off which is directly overmolded by a dust cover for long-lasting use.
These reliable and cool units developed with aluminum that also represent the application’s strong lightweight features. These ergonomic design units also offer to save your money by delivering the best plunge that you are looking for.
Porter-Cable Plunge router Features:
- One of the best versatile plunge routers offer to merge with different router motors.
- It offers you unbeatable safety during the operations.
- Quite easy depth adjusting mechanisms allow it to join with other routers.
- Built-in regulation button helps you to control the whole unit.
- This lightweight application delivers the best plunge and saves a lot of money.
What To Consider Before Buying A Plunge Router?
Nowadays, all the innovative plunge routers are designed with the best attributes to deliver a great performance at wooden surfaces. Those aspects ensure the value and efficiency of the plunge router. So, before buying the best plunge router, you have to confirm the capabilities of those attributes are the following:
What size router do I need for woodworking:
Leading routers deliver horsepower between 1.5 to 3.5 range with 3 to 15 amp range. Maximum HorsePower only used for a short time operation. Most of the routers are available with .25-inch and .50-inch collets that almost represent the distinct diameter of the units.
Most of the Plunge router motor designs range between 1.5 to 3.5 HP. More HP with motor different velocity levels delivers the efficient performance for toughest wooden surfaces. So, you have to ensure the best horsepower and amp of the router motors before buying a plunge router.
Design and materials:
Majority number of plunge routers are designed with hardened materials like aluminum. By using these ingredients, it’s quite strong and lightweight. So, you have to check the constructed materials of the plunge router before you buy it.
Before buying a plunge router, depth-adjustment needs to be taken in consideration. Different plunge router distinct depth-adjustment system. So, you have to check out the best depth-adjustment before purchase.
There are a large number of plunge routers available with different usage. Some of them mostly used for small appliances, others may have use in windows, cabinets, carpentry, fine woodworking etc. So, you have to confirm that your desired plunge router is more ergonomic and versatile.
Before purchase a plunge router, Tools accuracy must be ensured. There are different types of applications with their self-claimed working efficiency and most of them don’t deliver great accuracy for performance. So, you have to ensure the features capabilities before buying it.
To control the whole application, a builtin dual-sided rounded handle works great for plunge routers. The handles control the units smoothly during the operation. Some plunge router handles design with solid grip or wood. So, you have to justify the unit’s handles before buying.
Most of the innovative alongside ergonomic plunge routers designed with dust collectors. It offers to collect more than 95% of dust during the units of the cutting action. So, you have to be more clear about the application dust collection capabilities.
Why Should You Buy A Plunge Router?
- It mostly offers you to use the application for various diameter appliances including slot cutting, laminate trimming, edge forming and more.
- Its different Horsepower motor with extreme rotation RPM committed to deliver you a smooth routing on your whole project.
- Its different bit depth-adjustable mechanism offers you to deliver great accuracy.
- Its sturdy material for constructions helps you to use the units for long-lasting.
- The dust collector collects most of the dust and gives better visibility while you are on the operation.
- Different rounded handles will help you to control the whole system quite smoothly.
- Integrated variable speed meter helps to control the speed for your needs.
- Its advanced design safety switch ensures your protection during the operation.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are various types of questions that may arise in your mind before making the purchase decision of a best quality plunge router. For this reason, I added some most common questions and answers that will help you to make the decision.
Can you put a plunge router in a router table?
Yes, it’s a perfect combination to set up a plunge router in a router table. Actually, it depends on your setup by your needs. Also, a plunge router delivers a secure performance in a router table as well as using a fixed-base router.
Can you plunge with a fixed base router?
Yes, fixed bases routers also can make the plunge cuts by flatting the base of the jig. Finally, just move the base router back and forth between the stops.
Can you use a plunge router for edges?
Yes, plunge routers can deliver a better look for decorative edge cuts. Plunge routers available to make a great shape on the interior surface. It just needs to switch the motor between fixed and plunge bases, then use the applications with the required speed range.
How deep can a plunge router go?
Generally, the plunge base router offers you to preset the cut depth and then it gets lower the bit into the cut including the router’s base flat on the surface of the component.
Can you sharpen router bits?
Yes, it allows you to sharpen the router bits quite easily. You can do the sharpening without a jig, precision measuring instruments. Just a couple of diamond paddles help it to be more sharpened.
To summarize, all the above-described 5 best plunge router can deliver great performance according to their units capabilities and efficiency. Moreover, most of the plunge router can produce similar types of performance except the low graded applications. To get the best amenities and benefits, you can use any of them from the above-mentioned plunge router. So try them for your daily needs.
But, if you want to my opinion to choose the best one, definitely i will suggest you to pick the Triton TRA001 plunge router because of it powerful motor with 3.25 HP and Great RPM for rotation, the micro-fine depth-adjustable mechanism and the entire units working capabilities helps me to select this plunge router application.