Removing old paint can be a time-consuming task, especially if you are doing it manually. You need to get the best heat gun for removing paint to make your work easier and faster. Heat guns make the paint come off easily, so you will do less scrapping. They heat the paint until it becomes soft and easy to remove on the surface.
Finding a high-quality paint gun to meet your expectations is not easy since there are many options to choose from. You want to get an affordable heat gun that is easy to operate and removes the paint faster. Luckily, we have reviews researched for you. Check our list of top 6 heat guns for paint removal.
How to Remove Paint with A Heat Gun?
Before you buy a heat gun, it is essential to understand how it works. By their look, heat guns resemble normal hairdryers and operate almost in the same way. Their operation is simple. Air gets into the unit’s fun, and it is then taken across the electric heating element, and then it comes out through the nozzles.
So, when you are stripping paint using a heat gun, the hot air makes the paint soft on the surface; hence it is simpler to strip it. Once the paint softens, you can scrap it using a knife or hook. Heat guns are lightweight tools, so you can use both hands when working. One hand can hold the heat gun while the other one holds the stripping tool.
The following are some essential steps that will help you remove paint with a heat gun.
Step 1: Gather your Requirements
You need several things like an old rag, water, heat gun, paint scraping tool, white spirits, and steel wool.
Step 2: Clean the Surface
Once you have the essential items, start by cleaning the surface before you start working. Remove dust and dirt to make your work easier; you can do this with water and the old rag.
Step 3: Plug your Heat Gun
Heat guns do not get hot instantly, so you need to wait for the tool to heat well. Please do not leave the heat gun on flammable materials because it can cause a fire. You should wait for about 3 minutes for the tool to heat up.
Step 4: Heating the Paint
Take the heat gun and bring it closer to the surface in up and down motion. It will take some time before you see the paint on the surface bubbling and then melting. Do not keep the heat gun too close to avoid damages. You also ensure that you make consistent movements to do your job faster and effectively.
Step 5: paint Scraping
When the paint becomes soft, the next step is to scrap it with your scraping tool. When scrapping, don’t worry about the spots left behind, and you will handle them later.
Step 6: Final Touches
Once you remove all the paint, the last step is the final touches. You can use steel wool to scrap the whole surface. Rub it down using the white spirit, and after this, the surface will have no paint.
Table of Content:
You can easily reach any part of this content by clicking the links below. This will help you access any section you want faster.
- How to Remove Paint with A Heat Gun?
- 6 Best Heat Gun for Removing Paint Reviews 2021
- Advantages of A Heat Gun for Paint Removal
Check our comparison on top heat guns for removing paint to understand every product’s best features at a glance.
6 Best Heat Gun for Removing Paint Reviews 2021
Removing paint from surfaces doesn’t come off easily. You need the help of a heat gun to make paint removal easy. We have given you comprehensive reviews of the best heat gun for removing paint applicable to other tasks. Compare their top aspects to find the one that suits your needs.
1. DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Heat Gun
Think of any hand or power tool you need, and Dewalt has got your back. If you want versatility and convenience when using a heat gun, get this cordless model for a better outcome. This is the best heat gun for paint removal that features a compact design. Therefore, it is easy to use it in diverse applications and tight spaces.
You can use this heat gun for different applications like paint removal and shrinking wire tubing with heat. It offers up to 990 degrees F maximum output temperature, and it has two temperature settings that you can choose from. Additionally, you can choose lock on and off to give you free hand operation.
The size of the nozzle of this gun is the same as the traditional heat guns. Therefore, you can use other attachments from corded models from other brands easily. It has a flat nozzle and another hook nozzle to get the work done. However, you will need to buy the charger and the battery separately.
DEWALT 20V MAX Features:
- Cordless heat gun that provides you with a maximum of 42 minutes of run-time per charge.
- The heat gun features LED light to illuminate your workspace when working in a dark area.
- You can easily lock off the trigger when you want to use the manual operation option.
- The tool provides a maximum output temperature of 990 degrees F with two temperature settings.
- The heat gun features nozzles similar to other standard heat guns and allows attachments from corded models.
2. Wagner 0503070 FURNO 700 Digital Heat Gun
Enjoy a versatile performance with the Wagner digital heat gun. This is a great tool that you can use for softening paint, putty removal, bend plastic pipes, caulking, and shrink pipes, among others. The digital heat gun features a variable temperature of 125 degrees F-1300 degrees F. Therefore, you can choose the speed you want to complete various applications.
The heat gun has two nozzles to help you handle your projects perfectly. If you are dealing with glass surfaces, it has a glass protector for the glass surfaces and prevents heat damages. The other flare nozzle works well to distribute heat along with the narrow areas.
Using this heat gun is completely safe and gives you hand free operations. Moreover, it has an integrated stand for safety and sidebars that ensure the hot nozzle doesn’t get into contact with your work surface. You will also find an LCD screen with a push-button to help you adjust the temperature to 5 fan settings or choose to switch to the cool down option.
Wagner 0503070 Features:
- Versatile heat gun that is applicable in various household chores that you can think of.
- The tool has an adjustable temperature setting from 125 degrees F-1300 degrees F.
- It is equipped with two convenient nozzles that help you perform your tasks perfectly.
- The tool features a glass protector to protect the glass surfaces from the heat of the gun.
- It has an integrated safe to give you hands-free operation and sidebars protect your work surface.
3. Professional Heat Gun
Need an affordable heat gun that provides professional results? This is the right one to choose from. It offers exact data control and has a large LCD to help you see the operations. It has 1700 W power and heats up quickly to an optimal temperature of 1202 degrees F. therefore, professionals can enjoy up to 600 hours of maximum temperature when working.
Unlike other heat guns that use mica material, this one has ceramic for thermal protective coating. The material cools down quickly in high temperatures after heating up. It also features four memory settings to help you switch the most commonly used fan settings to ease your work.
With this professional heat gun, you can engage in a wide range of applications. It features four nozzles to enhance its versatility. The heat gun also has a dual heating wire to give rapid heating. It is safe to use because it has overload protection that prevents the element from burning.
Professional Heat Features:
- The heat gun features a high-quality material that cools down fast at high temperatures.
- Features a large LCD where you can read essential data when using the tool.
- The tool provides a high power of 1700 W and heats to a maximum temperature of 1202 degrees F.
- The heat gun has precise temperature control so the tool can meet the needs of different users.
- It has an overload protection feature that ensures the element doesn’t burn hence making it safe to use.
4. Heat Gun, SEEKONE 1800W Heat Gun
When choosing the best heat gun for paint stripping, fast heating and strong power should be your main concerns. This is exactly what the SEEKONE 1800W Heat Gun provides. The tool heats up quickly to 1200 degrees F in a matter of seconds. You can use it to shrink wrap, electronics, vinyl wrap, heating PVC, and other thawing applications.
It features a variable temperature of 120 degrees F to 1200 degrees F that you can easily control with the separate dial. The gun also has overload protection (4th generation) so that when it is overheated, it will turn off to protect the tool and avoid other issues. This heat gun has a strong construction, and it can handle even the most demanding work environments.
You will also love its ergonomic design, which makes it easy to use. Additionally, it comes with a convenient carry case to help you store and transport it easily. The package also contains other essential accessories to help you handle different tasks. You will also enjoy great customer service.
Heat Gun Features:
- The heat gun provides a strong power of 1800 W, and it heats up in seconds to 1200 degrees F.
- It gives an adjustable temperature of 120 degrees F to 1200 degrees F, so you are in control.
- Effective overload protection that stops the tool from working when it is overheated.
- The handle of the tool has an ergonomic design hence preventing strain injuries.
- It features 7 accessories with 5 different heat gun nozzles to help you handle different applications.
5. PORTER-CABLE Heat Gun
Porter-Cable is another top brand that provides top-rated heat guns. This tool is great for people looking for a corded model. It features a 1500-watt motor that provides high heat and different fan settings. The heat gun has a 6-feet cord that gives you flexibility when working.
The tool also has a dual fan speed selector to help you choose from low to high fan speed settings. Additionally, you will enjoy the variable temperature control that allows you to adjust the temperature to suit your needs. You can use the tool in different applications like welding plastics, paint removal, removing adhesive tiles, and bending plastic pipes, among others.
When it comes to operation, the heat gun is lightweight, so you can use it longer without experiencing fatigue. It also features an integrated stand that provides hand-free use. So, the tool can stay upright to keep your hands free.
- The corded heat gun has a 6-foot quality power cord that provides the required flexibility.
- Storing the tool after use is easy because it has a nice hanging hook for convenient storage.
- It features a variable temperature control dial, which helps you choose the right temperature for a particular task.
- The heat gun has an integrated hand-free support stand that keeps the tool in an upright position and ensures your hands are free.
- Lightweight and easy to use, so you don’t expect fatigue even after prolonged use.
6. Avid Power Heat Gun
If you need a cheap heat gun without compromising the performance, the Avid heat gun is a perfect choice. The tool has an 1800 W powerful more that can heat up to 1205 degrees F. You have the option of switching the temperature from low 716 degrees F to high 1205 degrees F with just a press of a button.
This tool is safe to use since it has overload protection. It is equipped with a heavy-duty overheating protection unit that prevents damages. This heating element has a durable construction and ensures a safe operation. It features more vents for effective heat dissipation.
Avid Power Features:
- The heat gun has four different nozzles hence applicable for different tasks.
- It has overheating protection that makes it safe to use this heat gun and protects it from damages.
- You can easily switch from a high temperature to a low temperature by pressing a button.
- It is equipped with many vent slots for heat to dissipate hence no overheating while working.
- The flat black stand allows you to place it on its back for cooling or allow you to work with both hands.
Advantages of A Heat Gun for Paint Removal
If you are a DIYer, a heat gun is essential to add in your arsenal. There are many uses of heat gun, which makes them versatile tools. This tool provides many benefits which include the following:
- It is versatile, so you can use it to remove paint on various surfaces like walls, doors, and architraves.
- You can easily adjust the tool to remove paint using up and down motions in a gentle frame.
- Unlike other heating elements, heat guns do not produce flames, causing damages when removing paint.
- Heat guns are perfect for workshops, homes, and engineering. You can use them for small to big paint removal tasks.
- The tools are heat and electrically protected. They have internal sensors that shut them off when they become too hot hence safe to use.
Frequently Asked Question
People ask several questions regarding the heat gun and how they work. Here is a list of some of the frequently asked questions and answers.
Is a heat gun good for removing paint?
Can you use a heat gun to remove paint from drywall?
Can you use a heat gun to remove paint from a radiator?
Can you use a heat gun to remove paint from concrete?
Can I use a hairdryer instead of a heat gun?
The best heat gun for removing paintwork perfectly speeds up your paint removal jobs. Therefore, you don’t have to spend a lot of time scraping old paint. I’m optimistic the above heat gun reviews will help you choose the best. You also need to ensure you maintain the right safety precautions when using a heat gun. Always wear protective clothing, goggles, and gloves when using a heat gun.
We recommend the PORTER-CABLE Heat Gun. This tool has a powerful motor and gives you flexibility with the long power cord. It is suitable for different applications and also provides you with variable temperature control. The tool is also lightweight, which makes its operation simple with less fatigue.