Your woodworking may remain incomplete without the best compact router. Yes, though it looks small and compact, it helps you to do the most appropriate woodwork for you. Therefore, if you are a woodworker, both professional or amateur, you need nothing but a compact router that will allow you to cut edges perfectly.
But finding the best one may be a tiresome work if you don’t have enough experience with them and their features. That’s why; you need to spend probably hours to find the best one for your woodworking. It is good news that we have done the hard work of researching and will share with you the compact tool to complete your woodworking effortlessly.
Why Use A Compact Router?
You need to use a compact router to cut the edges properly. Not only that, you need to fix the crooked edges using the compact router; you can also create profiles for joints so that you can join other parts easily and perfectly. The compact routers can also make decorative edges. So, you need to use a compact router for many reasons cutting edges, making profiles, create decorative edges, and so forth.
Note: If you are a beginner and don’t know its use. We have published an article on how to use a wood router for beginners; you may check it out.
Table of Content:
The following table of content will show you a quick glimpse of our chosen compact routers. It will help you understand what we have covered in this article.
- 5 Best Compact Routers Reviews 2021
- 1. Makita XTR01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Compact Router
- 2. PORTER-CABLE Router, Compact, 1.25 HP (450)
- 3. HARVET R0700 1.25HP 6.5Amp Variable Speed Palm Compact Router Kit
- 4. DEWALT 20V Max XR Cordless Router, Brushless, Tool Only (DCW600B)
- 5. TACKLIFE Plunge and Fixed Base Router, 30,000RPM Compact Router Kit
- What To Consider Before Buying A Compact Router?
- Why Should You Buy A Compact Router?
- Final Thought
At the end of our extended-period of research, we have enough experience reviewing these compact routers here. We do hope and believe that you will end up selecting one that will best suit you. So, read on to the end so that you can get your desired one.
Makita XTR01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Compact Router
PORTER-CABLE Router, Compact, 1.25 HP (450)
HARVET R0700 1.25HP 6.5Amp Variable Speed Palm Compact Router Kit
DEWALT 20V Max XR Cordless Router, Brushless, Tool Only (DCW600B)
TACKLIFE Plunge and Fixed Base Router, 30,000RPM Compact Router Kit
5 Best Compact Routers Reviews 2021
At the end of our extended-period of research, we have enough experience in reviewing these compact routers here. We do hope and believe that you will end up selecting one that will best suit you. So, read on to the end so that you can get your desired one.
1. Makita XTR01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Compact Router
Makita Brushless Cordless Compact router comes with a brushless motor that benefits you deliver faster and more accurate cuts, including edge cuts, decorative cuts, profile making, and so forth comfortably. The router can make different cuts in a variety of materials. To match torque and RPM, it comes with the electronically controlled BL Brushless motor. Makita 18v brushless router is perfect for your woodworking.
Depending on your needs, you can adjust the speed of the router ranging from 10,000 to 30,000 RPM, which is enough for cutting the edges perfectly. Under any load, you have the option to control the speed of the machine electronically.
To prevent any unwanted accident, the device comes with On and off button with a separate lock button. Therefore, you can continue your woodworking without any tension of making any accidents. It has dual LED lights so that it can illuminate the area you are working for better observation.
Makita Brushless Cordless Compact router Features:
- The compact router comes with 18V lithium-ion batteries that allow you to work ceaselessly; therefore, you don’t need to take any break while working.
- It’s on/off button with a separate lock prevents you from any unwanted accidents while continuing the woodworking.
- To ensure the comfort, the compact router comes with a slim and ergonomic designed body.
- The router comes with aluminum housing and base; therefore, it ensures its durability and accuracy for your work.
- To needed depth adjustment, there comes a quick release cam lock.
2. PORTER-CABLE Router, Compact, 1.25 HP (450)
PORTER-CABLE Router is designed ergonomically and ensures comfort. Also, you can use the compact router with single-handed. It comes with a 1.25 HP motor, which is more than enough and benefits you to reach the toughest applications. You can fix the speed of the router, and the range is up to 27000 RPM.
Through the cut, you need to maintain the motor speed. The compact router does the same thing, meaning that it comes with soft-starting motor features that allow you full-time electronic feedback. With the adjustment ring, you can change the depth to 1/64-inch. The porter cable 450 compact router actually allows you to finish the cut perfectly.
It is crucial to keep the motor locked in the perfect position while continuing to cut the edges. Its depth ring and clamping mechanism combined enables you to keep the motor of the device locked so that you can pursue your woodworking effortlessly.
PORTER-CABLE Router Features:
- The compact router comes with an ergonomic design that allows you to use and assure the router comfortably.
- It is easy to use; therefore, you can use the compact router with your single-handed control during your woodworking.
- The compact router comes with a 1.25 HP motor, which is enough to meet the toughest applications.
- The router’s motor comes with a fixed speed, and it is up to 27000 RPM, which is sufficient for your woodworking.
- Maintaining the motor speed throughout the cut is essential; therefore, it comes with a soft-starting motor feature to ensure its speed.
3. HARVET R0700 1.25HP 6.5Amp Variable Speed Palm Compact Router Kit
Harvet Compact Router is a variable speed compact router out there in the market. According to your need, you can control its speed because the compact router comes with a variable speed control dial. Its speed ranges from 10000 RPM to 32000 RPM, which is enough to cut the edges as your preferences.
It is also convenient to use, meaning that you can easily adjust the depth of the device due to having a quick-release lock system. Also, it is easy to remove and install the base of the compact router. The router comes with a slim and ergonomic design to enhance comfort and control.
The compact router comes with a constant electric speed, which allows you to maintain its continuous speed while cutting the edges. Also, it creates amazingly clean and smooth cuts, including edges, creating profiles, making decoration cuts.
Harvet Compact Router Features:
- Its variable speed control dial enables you to match the speed according to the application of your woodworking.
- The compact router comes with a quick-release lock system, which allows you to perform easy depth adjustment and remove and install the router.
- Its palm design increases its comfort and control at the time of the operation of the compact router.
- It provides you clean cutting because of having electric constant speed motor. Therefore, you can maintain the speed of the motor of the router.
- The compact router comes with an aluminum base that ensures the router’s durability and sturdiness at the same time.
4. DEWALT 20V Max XR Cordless Router, Brushless, Tool Only (DCW600B)
Dewalt cordless compact router is convenient to use. You can carry the compact router anywhere you want to be cordless. There is no chance to mess up while working with its power cord. It comes with dual LED lights that help you to illuminate the work surface. For fast and easy depth adjustment, it comes with a depth adjustment ring.
The motor speed of the compact router ranges from 16000 RPM to 25500 RPM, which is sufficient to complete your woodworking, maintaining the needed speed. It’s electronic brake allows the compact router to slow the motor down quickly at the end of using the device.
Like other compact routers out there in the market, it also comes with a variable speed dial that benefits you to match the speed of the router according to your application. Its soft-starting motor feature helps you maintain the motor speed during the cuts; therefore, you can get accurate cuts.
Dewalt cordless compact router Features:
- The compact router comes with a depth adjustment ring, enabling you to adjust the height easily and quickly.
- After shutting off, the electronic brake of the compact router slows the motor down quickly.
- The compact router also comes with speed ranging from 16000 RPM to 25500 RPM that is enough for your woodworking job.
- The device comes with a variable speed dial, which allows you to match the speed of the compact router according to your preferences.
- Soft-starting motor with full-time electronic feedback helps you control the motor speed so that you can get better cuts.
5. TACKLIFE Plunge and Fixed Base Router, 30,000RPM Compact Router Kit
Tacklife plunge router is considered the most convenient compact router out there in the market for woodworkers or beginners. The compact router comes with 6 variable motor speed that allows you to adjust according to your needs. It also comes with a pure copper motor that provides versatile motor speed ranges from 10000 RPM to 30000 RPM.
The compact router has a 6-speed dial switch that enables you to set the minimal speed depending on your routine task. For craving work, it comes with a 1/8-inch 1-meter flex shaft that helps you to do the relief carving, flower craving. Also, it allows you to do the work where it is almost hard-to-reach places.
The compact routers can perform a wide range of applications. It is mostly ideal for edges and profiles, template milling, free-handed routing, molding, and so forth. The device comes with a vacuum dust collection port that benefits you not to do your work.
Tacklife plunge router Features:
- The compact router comes with 6 variable speeds, enabling you to adjust the motor speed according to your needs for the applications.
- It comes with a 6-speed dial switch, which allows you to set the minimum speed required for your woodworking work.
- Its versatile transformation feature allows you to get the precision by every 0.25 inch.
- The device performs a wide range of applications, including grooves, template milling, free-handed routing, molding, and so forth.
What To Consider Before Buying A Compact Router?
To purchase the best compact router, you have to consider a few essential things. Otherwise, you may not be able to buy one that will fulfill your requirements. So, understanding these important things should be your life-saver. Therefore, you can purchase the best one that will meet your preferences.
In this article, we will share these important things you need to consider before buying a compact router that will best suit your needs.
It is the most important thing you have to consider before buying a compact router. Some woodworkers may overlook the feature of the device. With a good price, you can get a router with the needed power to continue your woodworking.
Your compact router should have at least above one horsepower. Most compact routers out there in the market are above one horsepower. For harder woods, you need more power to cut the edges. Therefore, you should not do the work with only one horsepower. So, consider more horsepower while purchasing a compact router.
Depending on your project, you may need the different speeds of the motor of your compact router. Most compact routers come with a variable speed control dial switch that helps you set the speed according to your needs.
Not only that, some routers come with electronic speed control. It enables you to match the speed. Electronic speed controls allow you to keep the speed consistent; therefore, you will get resistance while cutting the edges of your woods.
Getting accurate and even cuts, you need a compact router that has needed precision. It ensures the best cuts because it enables you to set the bit depth precisely. Not all routers come with proper precision, though.
Your router should have a large total scale with a tiny sensitivity to modify. Therefore, you can get more precision at the time to cut the edges. Most compact routers come with just 1/16 to 1/64th of an inch for each precision.
Sturdiness and durability:
Most woodworking devices, whether it is small or large, are costly. Therefore, it should be sturdy and durable. Routers come with aluminum housing, and the base is more durable as well as sturdy. So, while purchasing a compact router, make sure it is made of aluminum for better longevity.
Why Should You Buy A Compact Router?
You should buy a compact router for many reasons. Among these reasons, we will illustrate the most important of them to understand them better.
- A compact router can help you doing your woodworking more accurately when it comes to cut the edges for different types.
- If you want to cut the edges, including making profiles, creating decorative cuts, you need nothing but a compact router.
- It speeds up your work, having different speed variations of the motor of the device. Therefore, you can set the motor speed according to the application.
- Some compact routers are cordless; therefore, you can carry them to any place you require without making the workplace messy.
- For accurate and fast cuts, you need nothing but a compact router for your woodworking.
Frequently Asked Questions
You may still have some questions in your mind, right? That’s why; we are going to answer some frequently asked questions. Maybe, you have the same question in your mind, and you will get the answers from below.
Can you set up compact router for a table router?
What comes with this compact router?
Can compact router be used on aluminum?
How much does it weigh?
Can I use compact router with 240v power supply?
Still there? Then you should understand how to choose and which one is best for you. Now you have gathered enough information and can purchase the best compact router. If you are still confused, let us do the thing easier for you. We recommend you to buy Makita XTR01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Compact Router.
It comes with a variable speed control dial ranges from 10000 RPM to 30000 RPM, which allows you to match the speed of the router according to your needs. Electronic speed control of the device enables you to maintain a constant speed while working.